Website Boys & Girls Club of Metro Los Angeles
ob Title: Director of Health & Wellness
Job Type: Full Time Exempt plus benefits
Salary: $28-$30/hr ($58,240 – $62,400 annually)
Other: $300 signing bonus, paid at the 30-day anniversary. Scholarships are available.
The Director of Health & Wellness will create, lead and implement the Health & Wellness strategy for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Los Angeles. The Director will develop goals and strategies for the Health & Wellness programs across the organization. The Director of Health and Wellness will work directly with staff, volunteers, parents and partners to ensure the highest success of the program. This position will also support other Impact Strategies such as Academic Success and Good Character & Citizenship. Additional responsibilities include training of staff and program coordination and support in areas of sports, recreation, and health and wellness.
The Director will be held accountable to the highest standards, work in partnership with Site Directors, Director of Clubhouses & Programs, VP of Operations, have direct access to the CEO, and serve alongside key members of the executive operations and programs teams.
· Create and implement the BGCMLA Health & Wellness Strategy and introduce programs specifically designed to promote healthy lifestyles, encourage regular physical activity and address social issues such as obesity and diabetes.
· Ensure all program goals and objectives are met.
· Collaborate with staff, volunteers, parents, partners and other stakeholders to ensure resources are accessible, relevant, publicized, and of the highest quality.
· Regularly mentor and coach BGMLA professionals to ensure we are developing talent, coaching staff, delivering high-quality programs and fulfilling the mission of the BGCMLA.
· Coordinate programs, facility usage, equipment usage and staffing with Site Director(s) related to implementation of Health & Wellness Programs.
· Plan, develop, implement and evaluate all aspects of programming related to Healthy Lifestyles, including but not limited to: creating, organizing and coordinating sports leagues and recreation events, curriculum development and review.
· Compile regular reports reflecting all activities, parcipation and outcomes.
· Research, study and regularly evaluate best practices and strategies to improve quality of programming and increasing impact in the area of Health & Wellness. This includes regularly participating in professional development opportunities such as webinars, visiting other Clubs and attending workshops and trainings.
· Manage the budget; monitor and report variances in revenues and expenditures.
· Ensure administrative and operational systems are followed to maintain the operation of the physical properties and equipment of the Club such as the playing field, gymnasium, tennis courts, playground, etc.
· Manage performance of assigned staff in achieving goals, ensuring that regular feedback is provided and implementing corrective action when necessary.
· Work with volunteer coordinator to recruit, manage and provide guidance to volunteers, partner agencies and interns.
· Provide key data, program descriptions, tours, success stories, program highlights, partner updates and photos to Resource Development department as requested.
· Develop and manage collaborative partnerships with BGCMLA Sites, members, parents and stakeholders.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant community partners.
· Develop and maintain public relations to increase the visibility of programs, services and activities within the Club and the community through engagement with community events, community partners, neighborhood associations, parent groups, committees and groups that will raise awareness of the BGCMLA.
· Implement daily program/activities at designated Clubhouse.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Purchase or approve purchases of supplies and equipment.
· Recruit, train and manage volunteers for activities such as coaching.
· Transport children to functions including sporting events, field trips and special events.
· Plan and organize sports clinics, related field trips, sports leagues and recreational activities.
· Manage and maintain program areas such as the gym, track & field, tennis courts, etc at the Challengers Clubhouse to ensure high quality and safety of programs.
· Maintain, repair and replace equipment and vehicles as needed to ensure safety and quality of programs.
· Support overall BGCMLA operations at all Sites.
This position reports to the Site Director. This position includes specific supervisory or fiscal accountabilities.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY and SKILLS
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
· A minimum of five years (5) work experience in non-profit agency operations, program development and supervision, or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
· Considerable knowledge of: the mission, objectives, policies, programs and procedures of Boys & Girls Clubs; of the principles and practices of non-profit organizations.
· Commit to obtaining within 1 year of employment a Class B California License with Passenger Endorsement and Youth Bus Certificate
· Child and Adult First Aid and CPR certification.
· Physical capacity to participate and demonstrate expectations of fitness programs.
· Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate operations; in personnel supervision, the recruitment and retention of key personnel; facilities management; and budget management.
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and to develop solutions to problems with limited supervision.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Club staff, Board members, community groups, and other related agencies.
· Ability to establish and meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated sound judgment, tact and willingness to take initiative.
· Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with a variety of constituencies, both inside and outside the organization.
· Ability to support the efficiency of Volunteers and future workforce needs to support volunteer program operations
· Effective operational and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to develop and implement comprehensive action plans and see them through to completion.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively while demonstrating emotional intelligence.
· Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel power-user).
· Extreme attention to detail and strong follow through skills.
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
· Must have and maintain a valid drivers’ license and pass motor vehicle driving record check.
WORKING CONDITIONS and DRIVING
· Travel between Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Los Angeles sites, schools and various field trip sites as well as in the community is required. Must meet the insurance standards of Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Los Angeles.
· Work is performed in the community as well as an office setting.
· Evening or weekend hours required on an as needed basis.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and characteristics of the work environment described here are representative of those occurring in the performance of the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position involves lifting; bending; reaching with hands and arms; climbing or balancing; stooping, kneeling, standing, walking, crouching, or crawling; frequent interruptions via in-person contact, phone calls, and email are expected. Will be subject to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions based on activity location. Required to work around youth and adults where noise levels may be moderate to high during activities. Physical exertion may be required to lift supplies and equipment.
COMPENSATION: $28-$30/hr ($58,240 – $62,400 annually)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. Nothing in this job description restricts the right of Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Los Angeles Management to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job or change this job description at any time.
BGCMLA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.